Sunday, September 12, 2004

Remembering 9/11

Yesterday passed and I, undoubtedly like many other Americans, went through the typical weekend drill of errands, yardwork, and football. It wasn't until I caught a glimpse of the late afternoon news before I was reminded of the 3rd anniversary of 9/11. Unfortunately I, like many other Americans, have pretty much forgotten or tuned out the emotions of that day.
I still remember that morning very clearly. I was watching the morning news before my bus ride to Provo and work. I was almost out the door when I heard the news from NBC around 6:50am. I stuck around for a few moments, curious to know what a plane was doing crashing into the WTC. Minutes later everything became horrifically clear as the 2nd plane crashed into the towers. Immediately my wife and I were both in front of the TV, expecting more attacks and more details.
The bus ride was very uneasy, I was enmeshed with a silent rage aimed at whoever was responsible for such a senseless act. I spent the hour long bus ride expressing anger and then sadness with other people and discussing how we would respond to those responsible. The rest of the day no work was accomplished, we spent it in the local deli getting news updates. I have never felt so much anger, sadness, and national pride then I did on 9/11.
The next several days were spent doing the same thing, watching the news and trying to figure out ways in which I could show my support for the nation and victims. I witnessed some amazing acts and was deeply touched by the outpouring of American flags that I saw wherever I drove. We turned to each other for support and, more importantly, we turned to God. We promised that we would never forget and that we would be stronger, better, and more caring people.
Now just three years later it seemed like we have forgotten. Its back to life as usual, selfishness as usual, politics as usual. Have we really applied what we learned at 9/11? We have demonstrated our military might by going after the perpetrators with amazing force and precision. But how are we doing as local citizens? Are helping each other out? Do we have the same solidarity and unity that we did three years ago? I don't know. I can only hope that I can remember this event and make a personal effort to ensure that I am a better person.

No comments:

Dude