Sunday, September 26, 2004

Popular bestsellers. A few facts and alot of fiction.

In the past two weeks I have read "IceBurg" by Clive Cussler and "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. These are two books by authors who have brought reading to the masses by mixing all of the dramatic elements that we love with history. While their content has less value then some of the meatier books I have recently read, they are still fun and they get me interested in topics that I typically would ignore. Here are some thoughts:

- I, like many readers, have become versed in the secrets of the Vatican through Dan Brown. This can potentially be a good and a bad thing. Good in the sense that it introduces us to historical events and objects that typical entertainment, such as Survivor, doesn't. I can't read Dan Brown without getting on the internet and following along with his descriptions of Bernini's work or Galileo's ideas. It stimulates me to keep learning. It can be bad in the sense that many people might not further investigate and take his reading at face value. Remember, Dan Brown is out to sell books first and maybe educate us second. Because of the DaVinci code, 1 in every 4 Americans claim to know the secrets of Opus Dei and the Holy Grail. Since we like a good conspiracy we believe them without confirming them through research.

- Since I have read multiple books from both authors I feel that I can critique their styles. Both have a very standard outline in place for each book that they fill in with new settings or villains. Clive Cussler, for example, will always start the book with some historical maritime event that later ties into the latest Dirk Pitt adventure. They soon will uncover some nefarious plot of some insanely evil man bent on destroying the eco-system. Dirk and his pal, Al, will break all the rules an save the day. The formula for Dan Brown isn't too different except that the hero is now dressed in a tweed jacket and from the Ivy League and the adventure is a fast paced treasure hunt involving riddles surrounding ancient secret organizations.

- I look at both main characters, Robert and Dirk, and I guess that they are the ideal persons that the authors envision themselves to be. I would probably do the same and create an idealized, super Ryan.
- As mainstream and campy as these books are I do have to admit that they have spurred my interest in topics I otherwise would have over looked. That is a good thing, I could use any motivation to keep learning that I can get.

No comments:

Dude