Wednesday, September 01, 2004

The Political Fray

These days it is hard to avoid the political arena. The media has done a great job of making us aware of every comment or action that could catch the attention of the public. While I personally believe that most of the issues of the day will have little impact on my personal life, it is important that I form my own views independent of political pundits and misguided rock stars.
I will begin this paragraph by stating that I am a moderate Republican, this might help explain my views. I am conservative on moral issues (abortion, gay marriage, equality, independence) but more moderate on social issues (gov't involvement in certain areas to help the most needy segments of the population when no other entity will) On the whole I support President Bush, although I disagree with some of his policies. I have met him and listened to him and I genuinely feel that he has our best interests in mind and has pure intentions. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't consider someone of another party who would better represent my views, I have voted against the party lines in the past.
Back in November I seriously considered John Kerry. He seemed well spoken and wise. Then his campaign happened. It doesn't take a pschyciatrist to realize that Kerry is an elitist who shifts his stand on the issues according to his audience. He can't showcase his senate record because it is so inconsistent. He is such a lackluster candidate that his own party and their 527 special interest groups have had to focus their efforts on attacking President Bush and portraying him as an evil crusader. That is quite a revelation into the overall perception of Kerry when his supporters don't necessarily care about him but rather care about getting Bush out of the White House.
These Democrat groups and media have done a great job of turning Bush into a belligerent and ignorant sycophant determined to control the world for his special interests. The reality is that both parties are recipients of enormous sums of money and are beholden to special interests. Bush and Kerry aren't too different on the political spectrum, how is Bush/Republicans so evil when the other side isn't too different. It should also be mentioned that much more "soft money" is poured into democrat attack adds than vice versa.
I don't unequivically agree with the Republican party on every issue, I don't think it would be possible for any thoughtful person to completely agree with their party platform. I do think that the playing field needs to be leveled. The media shouldn't be manipulating the public in either direction, let the candidates and their records do the talking. I'm just fed up with liberal elitist crying wolf when none exists.

No comments:

Dude