Wednesday, October 06, 2004

She's a ripper

Today, for work, I met with an attorney regarding a corporate case. Our mutual client, we will be performing the valuation and the attorney will provide the legal push, was muscled out of a 60/40 LLC by his partner of a business that they started together. It was very interesting to observe the attorney. It made me wonder, since I have many friends who practice law, if all attorneys possess these traits. Most of the attorneys that we work with due, maybe thats the nature of IP related law.
She was very take charge and would rarely concede to other better ideas. She was also very confident in her abilities and her chances against the opposition. After leaving the meeting it seemed to me that most cases involving potential litigation are typically won by strong arming, showmanship, and bullying. Well that and having a strong legal case. Most of the attorneys I work with, granted they are all litigators, are very adversarial.
This makes me wonder about my friends. I have several friends who practice law. Only two of them could be considered adversarial. Both of them like to argue their points of view, but neither would resort to bullying in order to win a case. The other friends seem too nice to succeed in this arena. I suppose, like all other vocations, that certain personalities excel in certain situations than others. It would be pretty funny to see some of my friends trying to intidimate the other side.

No comments:

Dude