Sunday, October 17, 2004

The Randomizer (Series I Volume I)

A. Today's Elders lesson was on self-mastery. It was one of the few times that I actually wasn't itching to get out early, the teacher can make such a different. Why is so little thought put into Elders lessons? (Atleast in 85% of the wards I have attended) Anyways, I came to the realization that I entertain too many mundane and useless thoughts. A man's character is often revealed through what he thinks and does in his free moments. If someone was to pry open my free thoughts all they'd find was an endless reel of meaningless sports highlights. I am making a bigger effort to garnish my thoughts with more meaningful things such as family, gospel, and meaningful educational pursuits.
B. I really do like our ward. Its members are simple and diverse. You won't get many intellectual rants breaking down scriptures down until you reach a meaningless minuetia. You will get many people who simply listen to the gospel essentials and put forth their best efforts to live them.
C. I spent one of the longest mornings of my life this past Friday. I went golfing with my father-in-law. My bad game was made worse when we were paired with a couple who happened to be life long enthusiasts. My focus soon shifted from how to play golf to how trying not to slow up the group. While the couple was friendly I could tell that they were quietly ticked to have been paired up with us. Its a good thing that I have the rest of my life to figure this sport and its appeal out.
D. I once thought that having a dog was no more difficult then raising kids. That all changed this past weekend when we tended a 10 month old overnight. She was a great kid and rarely fussed but the shear amount of effort and worry was enormous. At least with the dog we can send out of the house to play in the yard. Your only tool with kids are the endless streams of expensive and colorful toys. Now I know why an evening dinner alone is so valuable to parents.

No comments:

Dude