Tuesday, October 19, 2004

October Fizzle

The world of sports is replete with atheletes who perform during the regular season but can't up the ante, or even maintain it, when the stakes are high. (See: Karl Malone, Peyton Manning, Atlanta Braves) This month's nominee is Johnny Damon. This pains me because he is my favorite currrent baseball player. He spent the regular reason consistently getting on base and setting up the other hitters. Now he is spending the post season cluelessly swinging at the ball and being crushed under the weight of the storied rivalry. I can only imagine the gray hair that his futility is creating for the Boston faithful.

- By the way, this series is the most intense sporting event that I have seen, well.... last years ALCS with the Sox and Yankees. There's something about this rivalry that can excite even the casual baseball viewer such as myself.

No comments:

Dude