Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Send out the clowns




Things in this country are a mess. Ergo, I’m currently completing an exercise that I’m positive that many Americans are also participating in. I’m taking an inventory of what is going on in the world, wondering how it affects my life, trying to figure out how responsible the politicians are, and trying to figure out if any of the current batch of politicians is capable of fixing the things that I believe that they are responsible for.

But ...before I move on I want to add a couple of caveats. I represent main stream America. Most of my opinions are formed by what I hear and see through mainstream media. I listen to folks on both sides of the aisle so I think I am able to walk the tightrope and keep any bias in check. I do have a few “informed” friends but most of my views are shaped by what I see and hear and what is affecting my life.

So here are a few things that are important to me. If any politician wants my vote they will try to work on clearing these things up. Politicians always take credit for anything that is positive (Think Al Gore and the internet) so I’m going to ask that they take responsibility for the negative as well.


The Economy, stupid- I want to work in a land where barriers to innovation are destroyed and where the Dagny Taggart’s of the world can spread their wings. The minute that special interests and pork barrel spending (Think farm subsidies) enter the equation we lose efficiency for the sake of pandering for votes and influence. As a result we see things like the Ethanol/Gas situation. Politicians have won primary votes in the mid west but they’ve created a solution that is more of a mess. I think that the primary role of government is to make sure that the economy is free to operate and fair for everyone.

Gas Prices- I realize that this is related to point 1. Poor policy leads to inflation, which leads to a weakened dollar, which is one of the factors leading to really sucky gas prices, which leads to me getting my bike tuned up. Hell, we had a plan and a program to send a man to the moon. Why can’t we have a sound energy policy that can increase oil supply in the short term, select an alternative fuel that is less harmful, help create the necessary infrastructure to extract, refine, and distribute the fuel, and provide incentives to the private sector to create machines that will run off of it? We’re getting close to crisis mode here.

Belligerent Foreign Policy- This is where the Bush Administration really lost me. It has tried to paint the world as black and white and bully everyone into that paradigm. At least in Saddam we knew what we had. Now we have created a black hole in the Middle East that could last years. We’ve polarized the world against us. And our war effort is draining valuable money that needs to be spent with more pressing issues at home. I wish we could just turn our attention home so that we could fix ourselves first before we pretend to preach to the world.

Infrastructure- This hasn’t affected my day to day routine too badly but I fear that it will down the road. We have an aging infrastructure that needs to be fitted for the 21st Century. This is going to come with an incredible price tag and I wonder how it is going to be covered.

Legislating morals- I’m kind of fed up when I see Congress spending their time dealing with baseball players with steroid issues. I have a hard time when Government tries to get involved in moral issues that can best be dealt with on a local or state level. I strongly believe in morality but I also strongly believe in freedom of choice. I believe that the government should defend certain basic morality. But I feel more comfortable my religious education from the church of my choice then having it come from a government.

Well, this has become a little long winded. I usually stay out of politics but it has gotten to the point where it is affecting “main street” America. I have become very disillusioned with the current President. But I just don’t believe that either McCain or Obama has the ability to be a whole lot better.

Help me Obi- Wan you’re my only hope.

2 comments:

TheRobRogers said...

You're take on gas prices is spot on, as far as I'm concerned. And foreign policy. You'd love David Brooks column in the New York Times today about how in a generation we've completely gone from a frugal working nation to one addicted to debt and instant gratification. It was genius.

Ronifer269 said...

Send me the link. I'm frustrated right now and I'm a man without a country.

Dude