Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Nurturing your softer side

We are currently between cable providers. Having limited channels means that you either make do with the network crap, go without TV, or spend some quality time with your DVD collection. Jodi and I have opted for a combination of all three.

One surprising outcome of this is that I've become a fan of the now defunct WB program, Gilmore Girls. Jodi is getting a kick out of this because she no longer has to hear my complaints whenever she wants to watch programs that are typically associated with sugar and spice. I've found the dialouge to be rather witty and the stories to be relatively engrossing. Here is a small tribute to those other small things that could often be miscontrued as effeminate or 'girly'. We live in the age of the metrosexual, otherwise I would never come out of the closet with some of this stuff.

  • I own a Banana Republic card and I enjoy using it. The last time that Robb Finlinson came down to visit we spent the better part of the day shopping for clothes. I know that this declaration means that I become subject to ridicule. But at least I will be well dressed as my masculinity stands on trial.
  • I like watching TMZ. Not necessarily because I'm a celebrity addict but because it is fun to watch how TMZ makes fun at the whole celebrity culture.
  • I do pluck my eyebrows, nose, and whatever other region of my body that could use it. That's just good hygiene.
  • My eyes teared up the last time I caught "You've Got Mail" on TNT. (I probably should have kept that one in house)
  • I don't mind cooking or domestic chores, cleaning the bathroom being the big exception. I will even twirl around in an apron should the mood strike me right.

We'll leave it at this for now. I suppose I will need to go to a Maxim type website to refuel my testastorone levels. At the very least I will need to regrow my beard. Having a soft side isn't all that bad. Just ask Bono.

2 comments:

Glynnjamin said...

Life without cable is by far the best thing you can do for yourself. Not only are you saving yourself $60 or so every month, but you no longer sit down to relax and find yourself watching the same episode of Sports Center over and over for 4 straight hours.

That being said, the Blockbuster/Netflix method works well to curb any sort of physical activity you may feel the need to exert during this period. We highly recommend renting Dexter, Gossip Girl, and Journeyman

Katie said...

I enjoyed reading your post. It was quite funny. The things I never knew about you.
Let's do dinner.
Rich

Dude