Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Sunday Dilemma

The NFL is my favorite sport/league. It has been ever since the Jazz faded into oblivion. But my love for this sport has never really had a chance to blossom. Why? Sunday football. As long as games are played on Sunday I will always watch with a strong feeling of guilt.
Sunday's are designed to be a respite from the day to day grind of work and life. If executed properly a Sunday allows one to relax, regain perspective, and refuel for another week. Family time, quiet thought, church, and relaxation are key ingredients for this to happen. Through in the NFL into the mix and the whole cake gets half baked. Do you get my dilemma?
So what usually happens is that I will go to church and prepare my lessons but my thoughts will be on how the Cowboys are performing. Hence I will be "going the motions" on both things. I can't really get into the season; but more importantly, I am short changing myself of the benefits associated with proper Sabbath observance.
As I really dissected my love for football I realized something. Most of my interest in the sport peaks in the obsession. This is attributed to the fact that I can control the time I give to the sport and can avoid Sunday watching. Plus, every team has a chance when everyone's record is 0-0.
Anyways, I am at an interesting crossroads. I know what direction I need to take but I regret having to say goodbye to to a life long friend. I am afraid that I will demote myself to a casual NFL fan in order to regain the real blessings of Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Afraid I don't carry this same passion. That is probably the reason that I don't feel guilty watching a game on Sunday. By the same token, I never find myself wondering about scores while in church. I do think watching can be taken to the extreeme, (e.g. Tait, Wood and General durring fantacy season) and I understand that if it is distracting from the real purpose of Sunday, it needs to be evaluated. Well done my friend. This is what Neal A. means when he talks about the pathway to discipleship.

Dude