Thursday, August 19, 2004

To hold a thought

One of the principal reasons for starting this blog was to nip a possible problem in the bud. My attention span is down and I, like scores of other people, have been caught up in instant solutions. Thanks to things like the internet and TiVo, my learning has been diluted. Where I once would pour over a book to learn about a subject, I can now skim the internet in moments and get a 30 second summary. My information and depth have become increasingly shallow. I have co-workers who can't even tolerate a commercial break because they can now TiVo it out.
What makes this blog so valuable to me is that it forces me to collect my thoughts and write them down in a coherent manner. In this day in age this simple approach has become a lost art. I am getting better at it, but it has been a challenge. I am so easily distracted that it becomes hard to hold a thought and develop it. I will write back in a month or two to evaluate this blog as to whether or not it has helped me with this dilemma.

1 comment:

Ronifer269 said...

I am currently reading "The Republic". This will be my third attempt and I am determined to finish it this time. One of my first observations from the Socrates character in the book falls in line with this entry. Socrates had the intelligence, dilligence, and patience to see an argument or idea from its inception to its logical conclusion. This is exactly what I feel that I need. C'mon Socrates...rub off on me.

Dude