Sunday, August 29, 2004

A memo to communicate

The past couple of months of work have really hammered home the importance of communication. I work for a relatively small and new company that is growing and is just beginning to realize its potential. In an environment this intimate and with as much at stake, communication is so important.
This leads me to my boss, one of the founders. He is a brilliant salesman and visionary. He a broad understanding of intellectual property, having invented and licensed out a very successful product, and a knack for networking. He paints in broad strokes. The problem, however, arises when he works in the details.
He will often meet with potential clients and impress them with our capabilities and know how. While most of this is true and deserving, he often makes promises, on our behalf, that are difficult to keep. Even though we have developed a very specific, efficient, and valuable set of core services, he often is bringing in projects that are outside of our core competencies. I don't have a problem with this as long as he doesn't paint us as experts in these areas, which sometimes happens. The problem is then exacerbated when he only communicates a general idea of the project, sometimes leaving out critical details that a client was promised.
This recently happened to me on an engagement with a local company. They have developed a very unique and lucrative irrigation device and are looking to raise capital and secure a licensing deal. In a nutshell, my boss agreed to the job and then had a couple of interns work on it. Some of the critical information was probably not completely transferred, because during a recent meeting the client was very disappointed with the work to this date. So I was brought in to clean up the mess and salvage things.
Things are going better now. But it wasn't until I had to take some heat from the client and sit down to truly understand their expecting that things were able to meet forward. This project has some potential and I now feel comfortable in with it. I figure that my boss will still bring in diverse projects but I will now make sure that I sit in on the meetings so as to understand what is promised and to only agree to things that are within our bounds of expertise. COMMUNICATE.

No comments:

Dude