Friday, August 29, 2008

The Wonderful Modern Miracle that is Craigs List


I remember 10 years ago when making a sizable purchase required extensive research, references, and many aggressive face to face meetings with oily haired sales reps. But the Internet has ushered in a new era of happy halcyon days and at the forefront of that bliss is Craig's List.

We recently decided that it was time to retire the old Accord. She had faithfully caddied me around for 8 years without problem or complaint. Seeking to take advantage of the gas madness I decided that now was the best time to sell this moderately fuel efficient car. I posted an ad on Craig's List and waited.....

Within 2 hours I got a call from someone interested in making a quick decision. An hour later he was at my house test driving it. Twenty minutes later our hands met in a handshake of mutual agreement. Fifteen minutes afterwards I had a certified check in my hand and he had the title to his new car. It was more quick and seamless then if I had gone to the grocery store for a gallon of 2%.

It is incredible how well the Internet lubes the engine of commerce. I got a quick sale of my car at my KBB asking price and $3k over what the dealer would give as a trade in. Now I can use this same world wide web to research our next car purchase and use this information as leverage against the greasiest of salesmen. The internet: The Great Information Equalizer.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Ryan! Hey cous, how are you? I came across your blog on Scott and Tera's and had to say hi. How are you and Jodi doing? I'd love to meet her sometime. I'm new to the "blogging world" but here is our address in case you're interested: tomandwendymontgomery.blogspot.com It's fun catching up with people this way and seeing what everyone is up to. Take care and email me back sometime. I'd love to hear from you!

Wendy

Ronifer269 said...

Good to hear from you cuz! I enjoyed visiting your blog and getting introduced to all the kids. It appears like you guys are giving the Von Trapps a run for their money. We are planning a trip to So Cal soon so we need a Williams reunion afternoon.

the medeiros family said...

Hope you find the car of your dreams! ;)

Anonymous said...

I got this car

jajaja


his wonderful

pardon my english


im learning


Jonas -
Dietas Para Rebajar

Dude