Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Today's Word: Chaebol

Great news for Lacuna Strategic Marketing.

We signed up our latest client, LG. Business is slowly moving forward and soon enough we will have enough home grown capital to embark on some real growth.

I'm particularly excited about the prospects surrounding LG. It is a well established multinational. The project work is very intriguing and can lead to bigger opportunities. And it allows me to work closely with some friends in the Korean community.

While I'm a relative neophyte to Korean culture, I have had a few encounters with it that have planted the seeds of interest.
  • My brother served his mission in Seoul. His love for the country and culture was demonstrated through his letters, souvenirs, and kimchee deposits left in the family fridge.
  • I had several Korean friends at Thunderbird. They were actually my largest source of discretionary income. They would each pay me $20/an hour to hang out and chat in their efforts to work on their English.
  • I remember doing research on the uniquely Korean business environment and the dominant role played by Chaebols. The Korean landscape is controlled by several uber- conglomerates that play a very vital role in most aspects of business dealings. Think of US Business Environment right before Roosevelt and his big stick took down the mighty monopoly.
The project should be exceptionally fun and hopefully there will be some travel associated with the work. Now I just need Jeff to help me out with some basic Korean phrases.

2 comments:

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Jens, congratulations- this sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Is this LG as in the LG that I would have heard of, that makes TVs and other appliances, etc.? I hope it goes well with them.

the medeiros family said...

Congratulations, Ryan...what exciting news!

Dude