Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Ryan Manifesto

Another political election fast approaches and our nation becomes more deeply mired in apathy, antagonism, and anger. The general populace aches for a return to past glory as our elected officials continue to bicker and feast on pork back in Washington. Our roads crumble, our infrastructure fails, our rights are hedged, our soldiers sent to fight unnecessary battles, our economy limps, our prices climb, our status plummets, and our future looks bleak.
This is not the country that I was raised to love. This is a country whose stewards have failed her. This is a country whose greatness has been covered in the tarnish of partisan politics and selfishness. Our politicians are experts in the art of pandering to special interests. Our citizens no longer ask what my country can do for me but what does my country owe me.
I, Ryan Jensen, can no longer tolerate this sad state of affairs. I write with the passion of a hundred furies and with the conviction of a believer. My vote is up for grabs and these are the conditions upon which I will consider your candidacy. I want my America back and I want its glory restored.



I. Limited Government- We are a nation of capable individuals. We are a nation buttressed by strong local and state governments. Our national government should protect our borders and our basic liberties. Our national government should ensure that commerce flourish under free and fair conditions. Our government should be doing anything that we can take care of ourselves and it should not be telling us how to live our lives.
II. Fiscal Responsibility- As a responsible individual I live within a budget. I know what my income is and if I purchase a fancy BMW I reduce my other expenditures so that my finances don’t bleed red ink. This simple principle seems lost on our politicians. We cannot be everything to everyone, regardless of how many votes can be won through pork barrel projects.
III. Diplomacy- Listen, we don’t have the exclusive rights to every virtue. Let’s talk to our neighbors throughout the world instead of walk over them. Much can be gained by seeking to understand their perspective. This doesn’t make us weak, it makes us wise.
IV. Inward Focus- We cannot police the world if we cannot even take care of ourselves. I do not want my tax dollars being spent to prop up some dictator some rat hole in Asia. I do not want dollars wasted abroad until our citizens at home are taken care of. The obvious exception to this would be humanitarian aid.
V. Education- Our schools lag behind those of the modern world. Our kids do not learn math and they are no longer taught the arts. No money is being spent to ensure that our students get the best education possible. Instead our teachers are being forced to teach to passing standardized tests. This is a no- brainer. Our nation’s ability to rise or fall depends on its citizens. Educated citizens make better citizens.
VI. Environmental Stewardship- I’m not a nut who wants to chain myself to a sycamore to prevent a housing development from starting. But I do believe that we need to take care of our land and to pay attention to the consequences of industrial progress. There’s nothing wrong with recycling and there’s nothing wrong in not developing all of the land in the hopes that it will be enjoyed for future generations.
VII. Energy Policy- We sent a man to the moon, we can certainly adopt an alternative fuel that is easier on our environment and doesn’t fill the pocketbooks of some sheik in Saudi Arabia. The technology is out there but the will to do so isn’t. I want someone who can take the reigns of leadership and push through a plan that gets us weaned off of foreign oil and into using an economical and environmentally friendly alternative.
VIII. Economy- The government should provide opportunities that benefit the innovative ideas of its citizens. The government should provide conditions for growth. The government should not villanize and over tax entities that provide an innovative product or service and make a profit. Free enterprise should be allowed to be free.
IX. Principled Leadership- Our leaders do not need to listen to focus groups in order to form an opinion. Our leaders should be transparent and consistent with their intentions. I do not want another leader who speaks to the other party as if they were bedeviled. I want our leaders to treat one another with respect.
X. Immigration Reform- Listen I understand the plight of the illegal immigrant. Their intentions are good. I also understand the complaints of the small local government whose resources are strained because they are being drained by people who aren’t contributing much to the tax base. But there is middle ground here. We don’t need a blanket amnesty program because it will just encourage more illegal immigration. We don’t need to criminalize these people and build a big wall either. We can revamp our system and make the pathway to citizenship easier. Let these people be contributing members of our society, no longer marginalized. I would much rather have a large Hispanic population that are happy and tax contributing US citizens then a group that is angry and forced into crime because they are not granted a far chance at equal status.
This is a simple and straightforward list. I join the millions of Americans who are absolutely fed up with the direction of our once great nation. We no longer are going to sit idly by as our politicians led us further down this road. My vote is up for grabs and if you can satisfy my demands I will gladly vote for you. Let all of us write our own manifestos and demand more of our government. This is a government by the people and for the people. Let our voices be heard!!!!


5 comments:

JS said...

Wow - I hear the echoes, of great men, of its still common sense, sounding from the mountains of the san pete...

Tera said...

I vote for you!

Glynnjamin said...

Ahh, and yet the Church insists that we make this election about deciding who can and cannot join into a legally binding contract. My friend, the Republican party would be a great one if it wasn't controlled by the evangelicals. They flat out prevent the market from functioning by harking back to draconian times when scientists were Devil worshipers and the world was flat because God made it that way.

Not to say that the Democrats have done much to help the free market but at least they step in when the invisible hand takes a nap. Oil and pharmaceutical companies have long held monopolies that have been allowed to continue exploiting the system. It is time to bankrupt Exxon-Mobile if they won't start creating bio-diesel. It is time to shut the doors of Pfizer if they won't share their drug recipes with the rest of the world.

How can Americans accept the premise that someone who has allowed Washington to be run into the ground over the past 25 years, along side someone who knows less about government than a college graduate, can turn this country around and fix what is broken?

We need the states to invest in their citizens. We need AZ to develop a science class that teaches how and why solar, wind, and other alt-fuels work. We need high school classes that teach students to build, install, and maintain PV cells and windmills. We need tax credits for home owners who go off the grid through solar/wind to turn these investments into thousands of dollars instead of tens of thousands of dollars. This will create favorable market conditions for research and manufacture of the next wave of technology and energy. We will create a state the is no longer slaves to single corporate/governmental structures that operate with little regulation and charge blindly due to lack of competition/alternatives. We create intelligent, high paid, working classes of people who range from order taking to PV cell installations to cell building to cell research. 10,000 jobs minimum in 10 years.

Our economy could be fixed if the market was able to give buyers what they want but both government AND corporations stand in the way. I'm not about to give my vote to someone who has voted with the government AND with corporations 95% of the time.

Jaimee said...

Ryan, You rock! You have my vote. Its been forever since I've seen you. Congrats on married life hope all is well.

TheRobRogers said...

I love you, Ryan.

And believe it or not, Letterman is the man to lead us into the future.

Dude