Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Redemption at 3am


Like many Olympic enthusiasts I have been annoyed at the NBC coverage of the games. Instead of treating us like the ‘net’ savvy, real time, smart people that we are they continue to suspend the time difference between here and Beijing and attempt to convince us that everything is taking place live during our prime time. Since we are not stupid we catch the stuff online as it happens and usually pass on the event when it is played six hours later.

I understand the logistical issues. But I have a couple of recommendations for the next go round. 1) If it is 8am in the US and a game is being played live in China, play it live here. Don’t wait for two hours and play it on tape delay when we already know the outcome. This happened with the US-Argentina game. I followed it live online at 8am. It then came on at 10am….what the point? 2) Don’t try and fool us with your faux “live coverage” angle. We know it’s not live. We will choose to watch the event if it is still compelling.

Anyways….this post was to be about the big US-Spain gold medal game. I needed to blow off some steam first.

Wanting to watch the game live- thanks to NBC for finally broadcasting something meaningful live- I opted to stay up for the 12:30am start time. I was expecting to watch a few minutes and retire once the US pulled away with the game, most likely during the 2nd Quarter. The US blew those racist and hairy Spaniards out by 37 points the previous week so I was expecting them to pull a French rollover and be content with the silver.

Surprise….surprise…

My late night lethargy was soon jolted to a full and alert semi-panic with Spain pulling up by 5 in the early going. The US couldn’t stop the precision offense of the lanky representatives of the Iberian Peninsula. They were shooting very well but I was concerned that their fortunes would quickly change once things cooled off. The game was physical and intense and I was greatly rewarded for catching this.

As the game progressed the US would lull me to a false sense of security by building up a 9 or 11 point lead. But every time that it appeared that they would break the game open the Spanish would quash the run with a well timed three pointer. They kept the game in reach prevented the US from getting easy transition points.

The game came down to the wire. It wasn’t until the last couple of minutes and a clutch Kobe four point play that I could finally sit back and relish in the reclamation of our rightful place on top of the awards podium. It was great to see these padded NBA players express the same unbridled and exuberant joy and passion that their almost anonymous counterparts and showed throughout the game. During these games the players weren’t the NBA brats that we’ve grown accustomed to. During these games the players were a cohesive team, determined to fit in, respect the Olympics, and claim gold.

It was now 3am. I made it this far and I was determined to see it through. Upon ending the awards ceremony I was almost immediately greeted with a feeling of exhaustion. There would be no rest for this tired kid as church was scheduled to begin at 8am. I had the gnarliest migraine and could barely make it through the services. But I was filled with a feeling of solidarity and patriotism as I scanned the foyer to find other husbands slumped over in similar exhaustion. We did our small part to support our nation and our nation rewarded us in kind.

2 comments:

Tera said...

Well said. Scott was so frustrated with the coverage that he would barely watch it. He also stayed up and watched the gold medal game and woke me up at 2 in the morning after Kobe's shot. He was very impressed with Spain's teamwork, skill level, and determination. Sounds like I missed a great game.

Tera said...

Yes, please visit us - and Andi is not filling out applications yet! But starting high school next year! Nightmare... it goes so fast. Do you know where the pause button is?

Dude