Thursday, August 09, 2007

Becoming what?

In church we recently had a lesson regarding change and resolution. I know, you’re thinking what is this theme doing in August? This is the type of discussion reserved for January and misguided goals. But the reality is this is a reality that needs to be faced early and often. There is no way to determine how we are doing relative to our goals unless we are measuring how far we’ve gone and how close we are to attaining them. Alright, enough Tony Robbins. Time to move on.
There was quote that really stuck with me. It reads as follows:

“Life must always be becoming, never being.”

I’ve read it several times and I completely agree with it. It’s what gets me up in the morning. It’s what provides the prodding guilt when I get complacent. It should be the raison d’etre of everyone. Anyone who isn’t moving is falling back. This isn’t new to anyone, so I’ll leave it at that.
The fun and challenging thing is determining what the “becoming” is. I imagine that it is different for everyone and depends on values, tastes, and interests. For me I’ve been able to determine what my “becoming” consists of. There is a little bit of everything. I’ve got the obvious choices that define my character and determine my career trajectory. Then I have the hobbies and worthwhile activities that bring a little additional satisfaction to my well being. All in all, these things comprise the essence of who I am.

1 comment:

Sober Gaijin said...

I totally get this. In AA, we remind ourselves that we are never cured. Life is an adventure, and it doesn't end when you die.

Dude