Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The First annual under appreciated list

Let's face it, everyone loves lists. They engender animated discussions. They cause dissent. If I am casually watching TV and I see a promo for the 100 most beloved dogs in cinema history, I will probably watch. I don't know why, but we are drawn to them. So here is my list ....

The 2007 Ryan Jensen list of things that are overlooked and under appreciated
  1. Comedy Movies- (The Cable Guy) This dark comedy that features the acting talents of Jim Carey and an under appreciated Matthew Broderick. It was written by Ben Stiller, who at the time was full of some very fresh ideas. It also showcased performances by then "unknowns" Jack Black and Owen Wilson. Completely overlooked. An honorable mention goes to Anchorman for giving us some of Will Farrell's finest moments. The movie was lacking in parts but there were some completely memorable one-liners. I had no idea what San Diego meant in German.
  2. TV program- (CBS Sunday Morning) This is my chance to feel like I am a cultured and sophisticated part of society. This, PBS, and NPR are often my only chance to stay abreast of what is going on in areas outside of news, gossip, and sports. It is so refreshing to wake and not be greeted by politicians who berate one another.
  3. Music- (Oingo Boingo) I think that the mainstream success of such 80's hits as "Dead Man's Party" and "Weird Science" obscured the far better material in the Boingo anthology. They were fresh, they were pure energy, their lyrics were quirky and envelope pushing. We enjoy your musical scores Mr. Elfman, but we sorely miss your rock sensibilities.
  4. Song- (Made Up Love song #43- Guillemots) This is an absolutely sparkling love song that carries a heartfelt and carefree frivolity. It just sounds so pure and innocent. A great song that deserves recognition.
  5. Virtue- (Fidelity) We live in an age where no respects the commitments they've made to one another. As one who has been personally affected by infidelity I can speak very strongly to the fact that it is a lost virtue.
  6. Super Hero- (Green Lantern) Hats off to a dude who has to save civilization and fight bad guys with only a lamp. That takes true courage.
  7. Candy- (Toblerone) While this candy might be considered a higher end specialty treat, I say that it deserves a place amongst the everyday bar. It does a perfect job of balancing the delicate ratio between creaminess and crunchiness.
  8. Actor- (Don Cheadle) Just take a look at the roles that he has played over the last decade. He has moved seamlessly from comedy to drama and everything in between.
  9. Beatles Song- (Two of Us) Such a simple and pure song that seems to reflect the joys of friendship during a time when the Lennon-McCartney partnership was coming to a close.
  10. Clothing- (Cargo Pants) The male answer to the Capri pant. It is versatile, comfortable, and its ability to hold excess items is legendary.

This is just a start. Maybe I will post more later. Maybe you can post a few items that you don't feel get the necessary recognition.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, on the the Sunday Morning CBS news....love it, too. btw...been reading and enjoying your memoir. Any news on the job front?

TheRobRogers said...

Alright Jense, I've been wracking my brains to come up with a few of my own and I haven't come up with anything that moves me enough to write about it.

Which is weird because I'll weeks where I can't shut about about some long-forgetten or under-appreciated pop-culture gem. Maybe I just need to be moved by the Spirit first. But when it happens, I'll let you know.

Dude