Sunday, July 08, 2007

My own Bluth Boy Adventure
(But minus the other boy and with a girl friend)

We recently found ourselves in Southern California again. We were staying just outside of Laguna Beach, minutes away from the Bluth residence. (For the novice and ignorant: The Bluth family are the key protoganists in the best television program of the last 10 years- Arrested Development) We had a little time to kill so I decided that we needed to get a frozen banana.
It only took us 10 minutes to find out that the show wasn’t filmed in Orange County, where it is supposedly set. It was rather filmed in the more economical and convenient location of Marina del Rey and Culver City, just west of LA. What the heck, let’s make the trip.

The easiest spot to visit would be where the banana stand was located. According the the flirty lady at the Marina del Rey information booth it was at fishermans wharf. Sure enough, she was right. We went over there, took some shots, and talked to a few people who were around during the shooting.

The visit was great but it still hasn’t filled the void created when the show left the air over a year ago. I have all three seasons on DVD but it sucks not knowing that there won’t be anything fresh, I was particularly hoping to see who would go with Lucille to Mother Boy XXXI. Nonetheless it was a good run and in closing I will include a few favorite lines from the series. Feel free to post a few of your own.





Gob: Hey, guy. They tell me you're the actor who plays Marta's brother, Tio. Spanish actor: Como? Gob: Oh, you're gonna be in a coma, all right.

--
Michael Bluth: Do you know what they do to people who commit treason? George Sr.: First time. Michael Bluth: I've never heard of a second. George Sr.: I got the worst [bleep] George Sr.: -ing attorneys.

--
Michael: I burned it. Down to the ground. George Sr.: There was money in that banana stand. Michael: Well, it's all gone now. George Sr.: There was $250,000 lining the inside walls of the banana stand. Michael: What? George Sr.: Cash, Michael. What the hell did you think I meant when I said... [strangles Michael] George Sr.: [yells] There is money... in... the banana stand. Prison guard: [George Sr. quickly takes his hands off Michael] No Touching. George Sr.: No touching. Prison guard: No touching.

--
Steve Holt: I've made a huge mistake. Gob: I know the feeling. I had you. I'm your father, Steve Holt. I can't hide from it any more. Steve Holt: I won't forget this... Dad. Gob: [swallows roofie] I will. I will.

--
Narrator: In an effort to "hip" up his act, Gob had briefly introduced a puppet. [Gob is acting as a black puppet named Franklin in front of the family] Gob: [as Franklin] Can I tell you something, my man? Gob: [as himself] Sure, Franklin. Gob: [as Franklin] You are one cool [bleep] Gob: . Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar. [the puppet 'kisses' Lucille] George Sr.: Get off my wife, you bastard. [strangles Franklin] Gob: [as Franklin] What's the matter with you? Gob: [in the present] Franklin said some things Whitey wasn't ready to hear. Michael: Gob, weren't you also mercilessly beaten outside of a club in Torrance for that act? Gob: He also said some things that African-American-y wasn't ready to hear either.

--
Michael: What do you think of when you hear the name, "Sudden Valley"? George Michael Bluth: Salad dressing. But I don't really want to eat it. Michael: What about, "Paradise Gardens"? George Michael Bluth: Yeah... I can see myself marinating a chicken in that...

--
Buster: Mom is becoming a little controlling. Michael: What tipped you off? When she locked you out on the balcony again? Buster: That was half my fault. I thought I saw a Graham Cracker out there. Michael: You baited the balcony? Lucille Bluth: Prove it.

--
Lucille Bluth: Did that Mexican girlfriend of yours kick you out? Gob: She's not "*that* Mexican," Mom, she's "*my* Mexican." And she's Colombian or something.

--
Michael: [discussing evidence that links George Sr. to Saddam Hussein] If this information was so damaging, why didn't you just shred it? George Sr.: Well, Saddam owed us money. Michael: And you didn't realize that he wouldn't pay? George Sr.: Your mom had a good feeling about him.

--
Lindsay Funke: Barry, did you talk to a doctor? Barry Zuckerkorn: I did. I have poison oak. Do you believe it? How the hell did I get that? [Cut to a shot of a rest area] Lucille Bluth: She was talking about George. Barry Zuckerkorn: Oh, he's the same. Look, I guess we should decide on who's going to speak for the family. I would, but I have Laker tickets. [Cut to a shot of the rest area]

--
George Michael Bluth: Don't you always say "family first"? Michael: Yes, I do. But that is not a family. Okay? They're a bunch of greedy, selfish people who have our nose. And Aunt Lindsay. George Michael Bluth: She's not my real aunt? Michael: Not her real nose. Got a picture of her when she was 14 in a swimming cap. She looks like a falcon.

--
Lucille: Buster. Thank God you're back. There's no shame in being a coward. Buster: A coward? I'm not a coward. Would I coward have THIS? [holds out a stuffed seal] Lucille: What the hell is that? Buster: These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship and the gorilla is for sand racing.

No comments:

Dude