Friday, August 17, 2007

Our own New York Doll



About a year ago Garrett recommended that I watch a documentary called "New York Doll". It chronicled the unlikely journey of Arthur "Killer" Kane from his meteoric rise as the bassist of the New York Dolls to his fall from grace to his life reaching a destitute low to his baptism in the LDS church to his reunion performance with band that was spear headed by Morissey.

Well I finally watched it and was moved. The story was as compelling as anything out there and it was absolutely intriguing to see his new found life as a worker in the LA Temple geneaology center juxtaposed with his hard punk roots.

I am very surprised that this movie didn't get more play in the LDS community. It seemed like is was better received in the Sundance community than in mainstream LDS culture. It's kind of ironic because the culture is always clamoring for the latest rumor that ties together any kind of celebrity with the church, why was this so over looked?

I think we all failed to realize the sheer impact and influence that this band had on just about everything that we grew up listening to from Morrissey to Motley Crue to the Clash. Arthur was more a hero to members of the Rock N Roll community than members of the LDS community.

This is and was a great story. Hopefully everyone will get a chance to watch the show and appreciate his life.

(http://www.newyorkdollmovie.com/)

6 comments:

TheRobRogers said...

This was a great movie. And I've always wondered why it hasn't gotten more attention within the community.

Ronifer269 said...

Agreed, very baffling. We get all excited and proud at the slightest possibility that Felicity once took the sacrament but we completely overlook this.

By the way, when is the Wilco concert?

TheRobRogers said...

Next Friday, the 24th. It's gonna be great.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Guys, I'm surprised to hear you say that. Everyone I know has seen this movie. Mormon blogs went nuts with it, and it is, or was, a word of mouth staple in Utah. Maybe it didn't make it out to your states' LDS groups, but man, it really hit around here as far as I can tell.

Ronifer269 said...

Bell, are you talking about the wider LDS community or the somewhat exclusive world of the Blogernacle? I wouldn't be surprised if it was blogged. But I don't remember hearing anything down here or anything up in Utah outside of Garrett. Anyways, I'm glad it got some recognition.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Yeah, obviously the blogs, but I mean everyone else. Okay, maybe not everyone else, but everyone I know. All my friends and family have seen this show.

Dude