Thursday, April 16, 2009

What can Dusty Bottoms teach us about Faith?


Three Amigos! is one of those movies that is a veritable treasure trove of memorable quotes and wisdom. Perhaps in 200 years it will be studied by students of literature and philosophy alike. As I was preparing for the upcoming LDS General Conference I found myself leaning once again on this venerable work. This time the subject was faith.

Let me set the scene..........

We are at the mid point of the movie and our dashing Amigos have hit a serious road block. The "INFAMOUS" El Guapo has sacked the village of Santa Poco and has made off with the fair maiden. With the stirring words of Lucky Day spurring them on they have resolved to confront the "INFAMOUS" El Guapo and defend the rights and honor of this small village. They do, however, have one huge problem. They do not know where the lair of El Guapo is and their only direction will be supplied by the "Invisible Swordsman"



A series of steps needed to be precisely followed in order to summon the swordsman and ultimately to receive the directions. While the other two faithfully recite their required lines Dusty incredulously believes this is insane. He complains and half heartedly executes (no pun intended) his requirements. We all know what the end result was. The horseman is killed because Dusty was going through the motions and not following the steps precisely. Those darn Amigos had to find another route to El Guapo.

What does this have to do with General Conference and Faith you ask?

How many of us have been given the standard "read the scriptures, obey the commandments, and pray" response when confronted with a matter of faith? I've lived my life long enough and have had my share of issues; this always seems to be the standard prescription. Sometimes this has worked and other times it has failed miserably? The big difference why? Faith my friends. I must truly believe that my actions will result in the outcome that I am righteously hoping for. Otherwise, like Dusty's assassination of the swordsman, our actions won't yield their desired fruit.

This idea is especially pertinent to me right now. Faith is something that I've been struggling with. It was under these circumstances that I prepared for Conference. And the result was fruitful. Jodi and I were both rewarded with a bevvy of talks that we feel address some of the concerns, issues, and hopes that we have right now.

I feel much better about faith right now and I offer my heartfelt thanks to Mr. Dusty Bottoms for elucidating a key aspect of it to me through the gift of Cinema. Yet another reason to love this movie.

3 comments:

Tera said...

I love it! I haven't seen that movie in forever, but totally recall that scene! I now need to see that movie again.

the medeiros family said...

Great movie...great thoughts! THanks!

Wendy said...

Ryan - this is my all-time favorite comedy movie and watch it often. Last month, for example! I had never thought of that scene in relation to faith, but thank you for pointing out something that now seems so obvious to me. I wonder what other gospel principles can be taught from this awesome movie?!

Dude