Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Many planes in a big desert

Every time my dad comes down to visit Phoenix he always brings up the fact that he hasn't visited the Airplane boneyard at the Pima Air and Space Museum. This isn't entirely true because we've been to the museum a couple of times; but both times we went the boneyard was closed. Well I got sick of the incessant whining and decided to take one for the team and take him down there.

I'm just really beginning to learn what airplanes mean to my dad. To me they are nothing more then a crowded aisle seat and a bag of peanuts that get me to Austin. But to my dad they represent the coolest thing going from his youth. He grew up during the early years of the Cold War and our Air Force was the frontline against the growing threat of Communism. The airplanes represented the best in American ingenuity and innovation. Being a pilot was the pinnacle of "coolness". There isn't a career path out there today that combines the respect, adventure, challenge, and pay of being a pilot 50 years ago.

Anyways, here are a few photos from the recent trip. Enjoy the pictures of aluminum and old planes.


No comments:

Dude