Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I've been drafted


Fact: Men devote too much time to sports.


That fact applies to me as well. But I try to do my part by limiting my sports watching hours to Football, basketball, and a little soccer. There is one event, however, that has held a spell over me since I was a wee tot. The NFL Draft. It my siren song and I am its captive sailor.


Why is the draft so cool? Why do I watch hours of TV in early April of the same stupid talking heads debating picks into oblivion? I think I heard 25 hours worth of opinion regarding who the Rams should take with the 2nd pick. Why do I care about what kind of draft grade the Cowboys got with their picks even though none of the players have even played a game?


The draft is somewhat special because it is an event that includes everyone. It is the rare day that the Lions could come out a winner. It allows the average fan the chance to step into the role of the GM and try to pick the right player for their club. There is a definite fantasy football type of aspect to the draft. And I guess that is why it is so wildly popular.


Well the draft has come and gone and I am mildly satisfied with how the Cowboys picked. I am eternally grateful for Jodi for putting up with me this past weekend and even feigning interest in the process. Now this is over and I have to what a while before I get some more football news. Until then I have the Jazz to satisfy my sports fix.

3 comments:

the medeiros family said...

Love the photo!

Norm said...

The draft?????

Why????

Ok, you already said why and I get that it is exciting to prognosticate the next Peyton Manning but my question is that of all the sports, I would argue that the NFL draft is the most meaningless.

I'm not trying to smack talk it, I honestly want to understand why the NFL draft... yes it's deep, but that is also it's weakness. Saying it's "deep" is a euphemism for what it really is. Meaningless.

Why, because you can't tell who will be great. You can talk until you are blue in the face and it won't really matter because in the end it is really a roll of the dice... and even in those rare occasions where you are correct and the player ends up being good... even in those rare occasions you still don't get to see it because rookies never have a signifigant imapact in the NFL. Even the great ones rarely even get signifigant playing time. That would bother me so much to watch and care about the draft and then once it's over to realize that I'm not even going to get to see these guys play for another year or two.

Ronifer269 said...

To a certain extent you are right. Here is what I love about the draft:

- I love to go back a couple of years and see how right or wrong all of the talking heads are. Then I like to compare their scores with how I scored the players.
- We all know that the NFL is by far the most popular sport in the US, this just extends the season. And it allows for every fan to have a part in the discussion when in November it's basically just 5-6 teams who are relevant.
- The Patriots are great because they build through the draft, particularly in the later rounds. I love the later rounds because the well run franchises win championships by finding the right fits later on.

Dude