Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Randomizer (Series I Volume VI)

- Home teaching is a very underrated calling. Many people, myself included, take it for granted and treat it like a monthly obligation. We teach two people who have changed my mind and helped me realize its potential. Both men are single, live alone, and have various issues that have kept them from church attendance. But both men openly embrace our visits and look forward to being able to converse with someone. It's such a small gesture on our part, but they really appreciate it. Last night we dropped by some holiday treats to them and we received the most gracious thank yous I have witnessed in a long time. It's amazing how the littlest things can have the biggest impact.

- I have been able to learn alot of things in my life. One of the most valuable truths that I have learned is that I probably won't learn everything during my stay on earth. Opinions are rarely fixed and absolute, but evolving according to study and thought. I am around a couple of people, at work and church, who have strong opinions about everything. I don't mind that, but it does bother me when they presume their opinion is truth. Nothing annoys me more then getting involved in a conversation with this type of person. The dialogue soon becomes one sided and I get preached to about one subject or the next. Oftentimes some simple questioning, a la the Socratic method, reveals the shallowness of their comprehension, other times I just gradually tune out. Is it so wrong to say "I don't know?" or "I am still studying that topic" instead of "This is how it should be!"?

No comments:

Dude