Thursday, December 02, 2004

He's not that Machiavellian after all

I've been reading the Prince lately, something I've wanted to do since my first political science class way back in high school. I always wondered if the book and its author earned all of the connotations that it's been given over the years. Well, after reading the first 13 chapters I would have to conclude that the book and Nicolo weren't as evil and conniving as all of my professors made him out to be.
I found the book to be a compilation of very astute political observations that have been recorded throughout history. These observations served as the basis for understanding human nature, particularly when it comes to obtaining and preserving power. He was merely describing what has worked and not worked concerning politics and power. I found his insights, despite their antiquity, to adequately describe what we see taking place today in the world of business, politics, and everyday life. He never overtly suggests one tactic or another, he merely describes what has worked over history and what hasn't. If anything he discouraged deceit, greed, and other adjectives usually accompany his name and works.
Anyways, the book has been a good read, if I only had the fortitude to finish Joyce's Ulysses. Books are great, it's just a struggle to get beyond the ease and convenience of TV and other distractions to get to them. Back to Seinfeld reruns.

No comments:

Dude