Friday, October 10, 2008

My yin versus your yang

Every once in awhile I muster up enough courage to read a book that is considered a classic. It is much more challenging to read something like "Crime and Punishment" when there is no grade on the line. Right now I am reading some Greek Philosophy and brushing up on the age old struggle between Nomos and Physis.


In an effort to retain what I am learning about philosophy I am dedicating this entry to trying to apply these principles to the mundacity of my life. Here we go...

  • Nomos (Order) vs. Physis (Chaos)- This eternal struggle often plays out between Jodi and I when it comes to matters of home maintenance. She sets a high standard and believes in a house of order and folded clothes. I hail from the free style "jazz" school of thought that believes in keeping things in a minimal working order. At the end of the day she always win and I always have to begrudgingly dust the coffee table.
  • Theory of Fallacies and Descartes- This crafty Frenchman doubted everything in his search for truth. His quest led to the gem "I think therefore I am". From this truth he could move beyond doubt and had the foundation to build on other ideas. Me? I like to take a different approach. I like to blindly believe everything until it is proven wrong. A letter from the Publishers Clearing House declaring that I've won $40million. I'm all over it and awaiting the check in the mail. Big foot found in Georgia? Sure, it seems feasible. It takes a less effort to blindly believe everything then it is to disprove it.

  • Epicureanism and the Good Life- I'm all about seizing upon some of that great "Carpe Diem" that this school pushes. In short when given the choice between a cheap and simple value menu and a gourmet dinner I will always chose the latter. While some may take satisfaction in knowing that the drive through at Wendy's saved them $3 they miss out on the greater pleasure that comes through a meal well made. Look towards tomorrow but not at the expense of today.
  • Nihilistic Thinking- Well I can't say that I like much that comes out of Nietzsche or his disciples but that doesn't mean they aren't worth a read. I just haven't cared much to hear what Zarathustra spake or to enjoy the art and ideas of the many turtlenecked clad Euro dadaists that talk about post-modern nothingness. At the very least these crazy ideas make some good movies. Two cinema classics "Fight Club" and "Big Lebowski" have a little nihilism in their storylines.

3 comments:

megha said...

well nice way to say things




QVC

TheRobRogers said...

"Are these the Nazis, Walter?"

"No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of."

Walter was so right.

megha said...

are these nazis?

Dude