Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Passing of an american generation

With this weeks passing of Johnny Carson I realized that some of the key voices of a generation have left us. People like Johnny, Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, and even Ronald Reagan were instrumental in serving as a mouth piece for a generation of americans. While I was too young to catch these people in their "cultural" primes I have nonetheless felt the impact of their lives. I truly miss the good nature, nostalgia, and pride that these performers brought. Today's popular culture is void of figures we can relate and look up to.
I remember those occasions as a child when my parents let me lay at the foot of their bed to catch Johnny's monologue. I didn' t understand much of his humor, but that didn't matter. He had a charisma and likeability that resonated enough that even a small boy could be drawn in. In a way, Johnny Carson helped me connect with my parents, grandparents, and so many older people that I loved and respected. I hope that our generation can do the same thing for those that follow.

No comments:

Dude