Saturday, June 27, 2009

The simple and tasty joys of gardening


As one ages he seeks out simple pleasures. This spring I sought this bliss in the form of a garden. To date we have harvested tomatoes, basil, cilantro, onion, beans, and eggplant. I have derived the greatest joy from discovering the exotic possibilities that can be unleashed with the great purple eggplant. I even got a nice purple shirt to commemorate my new love affair with this ancient, oriental vegetable.


Here's to pastoral living.

3 comments:

Norm said...

I'm interested in what you use the eggplant for. I don't have to ask about the other veggies, but eggplant? What does one do with it? I wouldn't ask but my wife ordered eggplant parmesian the other day at a restaurant and it was really really good. So good I'm asking you questions about it.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Can't say I'd have a clue what to do with an eggplant. And I consider myself a somewhat sophisticated connoisseur of most vegetables. What did you end up doing with it? Throw it at a car?

Ronifer269 said...

Yes, Ryan, the first several were thrown at passing cars. I've found that eggplants are great grilled and served with other vegetables...or turned into a hummus like spread for pita or nan bread. Take the eggplant, onion, garlic, and red pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and broil. Once cooked you puree into a tasty spread that will satisfy any weekend sports watching.

Dude