Thursday, March 19, 2009

Randomizer Volume V Series I

Because life just continues to get more and more random.

  • I just finished the Malcom Gladwell best seller "Outliers". The book seeks to uncover the complete circumstances surrounding outstanding events or people. It is a great and quick read in the same vein as Freakonomics. Anyways, at the essence of the book is the fact that most succcesful people, or outliers, had a series of fortunate events or circumstances that made their path to greatness that much easier. Whether it was Bill Gates happening to grow up at a time in which the computer was just begining to take shape and in a town that happened to have one of the finest and most accessible super computers or the fact that most of the top Canadian hockey players happen to be born at the beginning of the year in order to make team cut offs; success is as much surendipity as it is effort and talent. Upon reading it you will want to take account of your own life and see if you perhaps missed out on an opportunity or relationship that could have drastically taken your life in a different course.
  • There's an old man named John that I run into at the gym whenever I work out in the morning. He's a stocky old marine with a bright, white flat top. He wears a pair of sturdy support stockings that make him stick out from the traditional crowd. He has left an indelible mark on me. In the past month of observing him I've noticed that he has the most consistent and cheerful demeanor. I've seen him struggle with a few things but those challenges never dull his smile. On my way out today he saw me and motioned me over to his car. He had a trunk full of lemons from his tree. He offered me a few as well as a great recipe for lemonade. I could learn a lot from him and hope to ask him out for lunch next time our paths cross.
  • I've been told that Ulysses by James Joyce is one of the classics of the 20th century. I remember trying to read it in high school after I heard Bono mention his name once in an interview. It was impossible to read and I soon gave up. Every few years I make a feeble attempt to it up and every time I quickly close it back up. I'm going to try once again. Maybe this time I can make it past Chapter 3.

No comments:

Dude