Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dude, where’s my music?


Since we have become a “list” society I thought I’d join the fray. With Austin City Limits just around the corner I decided that I’d turn my attention to some smaller bands that merit further interest. These aren’t your garden variety mass-market bands like Coldplay or U2; these are musicians with a smaller and more specific sound and audience. Here are my current top 10 favorite smaller bands. I’ve been listening to these guys for quite awhile now but I haven’t found anything new that really merits much interest.

10. Beulah- An excellent combination of upbeat horns, interesting lyrics, and catchy tunes. This is the type of music that you would listen to if you were invited to a hip urban house party. Start off with “Score from Augusta” as it has great summer peppiness to it and finish your introduction off with “A Good Man is Easy to Kill” as it is their finest work.
9. Calexico- A great Tucson band that melds folk music with the deep tones familiar with traditional rural Mexican music. And they pull it off, introducing the average listener to sounds that they would traditionally avoid. I would recommend starting off with “History of Lovers” as it is a good gateway song and gives off a nice Neil Young vibe.
8. Bright Eyes- Conner Oberst has kind of been the sexy critic’s choice when it comes to song writing. But he does merit the accolades. His lyrics provide a depth and color to songs not often found this side of Bob Dylan. You can be swept away by the mood just by reading the liner notes. But if you are going to listen to some songs I’d recommend “Hot Knives” or “A Song to Pass the Time”.
7. Elf Power- A quirky band from Athens Georgia that will immediately evoke images of rustic elves….never mind, just listen. Most of their songs have a strong driving beat and some interesting additional instruments. Give “Come Lie Down with Me” and “King of Earth” and you’ll see what I mean.
6. The Shout Out Louds- A beautiful Swedish band that evokes memories of the Cure, but without the Robert Smith hair or dourness. Their percussion is as distinct and strong as anything this side of “The National”. Go ahead and sample “Out Loud” and “Normandie” and wax nostalgic about “Staring at the Sea”.
5. Sufjan Stevens- Like Bright Eyes, Mr. Stevens has received a lot of critical press. He is an exceptionally prolific writer so you might be completely inundated with the volume of his ever growing catalog. A lot of it is slightly experimental and hit and miss. Stick with these instant classics- “Come on Feel the Illinoise! Pt 1. The World’s Columbian Exposition”, “Chicago”, “No Man’s Land” or “”He Woke Me Up Again”.
4. Cafe Tacuba- I’ve been trumpeting this band ever since I stumbled upon their sound as a young college intern in Los Mochis Mexico. They are on the tip of the innovative “Rock En Espanol” movement. While their last album wasn’t up to their typical eclectic and innovative standards it was still head and shoulders above everything else coming out of the region. I don’t want to limit my recommendations so listen to the following albums in their entirety- “Re”, and “Cuatro Caminos”. You will be astounded by their energy, depth, variety, and creativity.
3. The National- My friend Wade said it best about the National. “To sum…while not the best music by whatever metric you choose, their music resonates with us because they capture and deliver what it means to be a thirty-something semi-progressive, semi-urban dude (us, if we drank), so we listen to it, again and again.” Their music has some great texture and their percussion is absolutely intoxicating. Listen to “Mr. November”, “The Geese of Beverly Road”, “Daughters of the Soho Riots”, and “Start a War”.
2. Sea Wolf- Remember those old OC soundtracks? They always showcased the hippest and coolest up and coming acts. If Sea Wolf would have been around 5 years ago they would have been one of the cover bands. Their melodies are simple but well executed, their lyrics typical but heartfelt, and their image superficial but still cool. Girls and sensitive men rejoice. I strongly recommend “The Garden That you Planted”, “Sea Monuments”, and “Leaves in the River”.
1. Matt Costa- He does the whole relaxed, acoustic surfer social guitar sound better then the current titan, Jack Johnson. His voice is as smooth and melodic as the evening waves breaking on the North Shore. I am very surprised that he hasn’t gotten more coverage. So sit out by the pool, throw some skewers on the BBQ and listen to “Cold December”, “Yellow Taxi” and “Astair”

6 comments:

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Awesome list, Jens, I needed it. I'm going to check out a few of these today- been looking for some new acts. One of these days I am going to take you up on the ACL trip.

TheRobRogers said...

Nice to Cafe Tacuba make the list.

Dave said...

Somehow I came across your blog today and was stoked to see that you are still spreading good musical selections to the world. Everytime I hear the Samples I think of five great weeks in Harlingen, TX under your tutelage. Keep up the good work on the blog, I think it will become one of my regulars. Congrats on the recent wedding/the new business/new house.

Dave Eggleston (your best mission trainee)

Ronifer269 said...

Mr. Eggleston,
Good to have you out! I remeber those Harlingen days well. You brought sanity to having to deal with Elder Flint's band stories.

Send me an email, we need to reconnect. Colorado seems very nice indeed.

Andrew said...

"Popular Mechanics for Lovers" is one of my favorites.

the medeiros family said...

I can always count on my brother for some good music education. I must admit some of these would take more listening to for me to fully appreciate. Thanks for the recommendations!

Dude