Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mr Jensen throws a stone at Washington

Rare is the occasion that I get involved in politics. I have a number of friends who have the "beltway" mindset but I enjoy my place on the sidelines. I have a few pet issues but the current situation in Washington has really soured me to the entire process.
I was casually watching a stump speech made by Hillary the other day. She was working a crowd up to a fever pitch with her talk of universal health care and the role that the government should play in making life better for the overlooked masses. While I agree with the sentiment that we should lift up the less fortunate through charity and assistance I have a hard time believing that it should come from the government. Then a thought came to my head..............
"I don't want the government involved in matters that I can resolve myself"

I want to keep government involvement at a minimum. I can make my own decisions regarding whether or not I will allow an abortion. I don't need the government to get overly intangled in matters that could better handled by the people alone. But I will rely on the government for matters that I can't individually impact. I will support government coverage in terms of infrastructure (highways, for example) or miltary protection. These are areas that it would make sense to rely on a larger entity to adequately bring to pass.

I just don't think that I should expect the government to provide for me in matters that I could handle myself. I think I'd do a better job. Thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. We do need government for infrastructure and organization. Of course the devil is in the details. On moral issues like abortion and gay marriage no decision by the government is a decision so you have to take a stance but I'm at work and probably shouldn't take on such a beefy and time consuming topic. But I just had to respond to the cogent argument followed by Thoughts?

jhoyt said...

I think the gov't services should be efficient. in my opinion, neither party really does a very good job of making sure that money are resources aren't wasted. The dems waste money on services and the reps waste money on wars.

Did you know that Bush was the only MLB owner to vote against the Wild Card? We should have known back then that he has bad judgement.

Dallas Graham said...

Gov't... what a funny word. Funny because of what gets thrown into the blender and then decided as "daily recommended allowance" for the masses. Don't get me wrong, I need it as much as the next guy. With elections just yesterday, I was thinking about the excessive amount of money H A V I N G to be raised for campaigning. You're right, I'm not in the thick of things, but I'm still looking for a time when elephants and donkeys can happily - and effectively - run the zoo together.

Glynnjamin said...

How's that health care plan of yours working out? If you lost your job and got hit by a car in the same day, would you have enough savings to keep your house and your life?

How about those co-pays? $30 here for some pills every month along with $116 there for a visit? It could always be worse if you didn't donate half your salary to a PPO/HMO.

How about those HMOs you've got? You happy with your Doctor? You know much about him? Does he know much about you? The Doctor's office is run just like an assembly line...modern efficiency. Get you in and get you out. Never mind the missed diagnosis.

I sure am glad that my insurance is so high because I have to pay for the people who can't take care of themselves. I sure am glad that I get to pay more for ER care to cover the cost of treating those without.

Some woman's abortion does little to impact the fabric of American society but the lack of Universal Health Care causes the gouging of the middle class and inept care for the lowest class.

Dude