Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Ode to my guitar


I recently splurged and bought myself an electric guitar, a Paul Reed Smith McCarty to be exact. This purchase was a long time coming and was a reward to myself for such a hellish past year.
I must admit, however, that I am unfamilar with the intracacies of an electric guitar/amp and the vernacular of the rather insular guitar community. I am a bread and butter acoustic kind of guy. Almost all of the stuff that I have written and performed has been on the same old Takemine accoustic guitar that I have had since I was an awkward teenager.
This guitar opens up so many possibilities for me. There are so many textures and sounds that we previously beyond the reach of my old set up. This is very exciting. But at the same time these possibilities can be overwhelming. Why?
Things are far more complex. I don't understand the subtle nuances of tone. I listen to friend discuss the ringing tone of the Stratacaster versus the earthier sound of a Les Paul and I say what? I can't tell the difference. I don't understand words like "play" and "axe" and "shred". I don't know when I want to turn down my gain or employ my "humbucker". This will take quite some time before I can master playing an electric.
The real magic will come when my knowledge catches up with my creativity. I have so many ideas right now but I can't truly make them tangible until I understand my pallet, my limitations, my playing field. Hopefully over the next few months I will make strides forward. Until then my neighbors will have to deal with the shrill sounds that penetrate my walls.

No comments:

Dude