Thursday, November 10, 2005

Reality Bites

This evening I decided to rededicate myself to cardiovascular fitness through an evening jog. No big deal, right? I mean, I play basketball once a week and I walk my dog faitfully every morning. I've always seemed to have the energy when I needed it so a reinstitution of a simple jog should be no problem....................................well, time and slothful living can do a lot to a middle aged body.
I probably made it 5/6th of a mile before I was winded. Exhausted to the point of where my throat was tingly and I felt like vomiting. My legs wobbled as a feebly tried to wave to my neighbors, hoping to convince that I was just wrapping up a long jog and not passing out after a short one. I arrived home ready to cry, my road to physical well being just got a lot longer and considerably bumpier.
Up until I was about 25 exercise was very easy. I didn't need to condition myself I just went out and played. My friends and I were so active that we didn't have to pay close attention to small and meaningless things such as diet or sleep. Everything changed about 5 months into my marriage. We were at a friends wedding. While dancing I noticed that some strange soft substance on my sides prevented me from experiencing a full range of motion. I had started to grow sides, I was getting fat.
Since then I have been in fitness limbo. My appearance is changing to the point of taking action but the fact that I can still do things keeps me believing that no real action is necessary. Well I might be reaching a crossroads. Changes need to be made. Tough decisions need to be taken when dining out. Dedication is needed in the form of regular exercise. It's no longer a matter of exercising to have fun it's become exercising to keep from getting fat and becoming a poster child for heart diesease.
I better cut this entry short, I've got a night cap with the floor. I still need to do 50 more pushups.

No comments:

Dude