Friday, July 15, 2005

Books...I almost forgot about those things.

We just got back from a pleasant dinner and trip to the local bookstore. While wading through the sea of kids dressed as Harry Potter- the 6th book comes out tomorrow I'm told- I was able to discover a long lost friend, the book. Reading was something that I'd do voraciously while growing up but something that has become more of a casual hobby as of late.
I wouldn't say that I'm a beer bellied TV watching ignoramus but I have to admit that my thirst for education through the written word has somewhat waned. While pouring over numerous interesting titles I had a feeling of guilt. Sometimes I'll come home from work and force myself to watch summer reruns of shows that aren't even entertaining or close to being worthwhile. I've lost that discipline that I once had as a kid to find an interesting book and see it through to the last page.
So I decided to take a stand right there in aisle number 3. I purchased a book on the Roman great, Cicero, and didn't look back. I'm already through the first 30 pages and I'm gaining momentum with each successive chapter. The satisfaction achieved through reading and learning is tenfold over most mundane activity. How sad and dull would be if I didn't take the time or effort to understand this world and its inhabitants. Books are that opportunity. I'm a fool for ever neglecting their inviting pages.

No comments:

Dude