Monday, March 21, 2005

Public Places

I have been spending alot of time at the Phoenix library lately as I complete work on a current project. I find that I work better in an environment that is different and doesn't have the comfortable distractions of home.

Besides improved productivity I have been able to observe the general populace that goes to the library. The most prominent groups of people I see are high school kids avoiding school -strange place to play hookey-, groups of young school children, mothers with children, and homeless people. The homeless, as can be expected, are among the largest group. I guess if I were in their shoes this would be a preferred location, there aren't many spots where they are truly welecomed. At first I have been nervous, anticipating that every encounter will end in a solicitation for money. While that has happened, I have observed some thing different. They are among the most active people at the library. They seem no less smart then anyone else and are looking into topics that one would assume would belong to more educated folk.

The library has helped me humanize a portion of the population that is conviently turned into aliens. As I've become friends with a couple of people I've realized that, outside of a few bad breaks or choices, they are no different than anyone else. It's sad that I have prejudices but I'm grateful that the library is helping overcome one of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post Jens.
For some reason I always thought that if I were homeless I would be one of these people at the library. Think about how much fun it would be to be an expert on some current event and be able to annoy those around you. Not with your petitions for money, but your outrage over the injustice happening in say… Africa.

“O ya, well in Africa….”

It would be like being the Cliff Claven of the homeless shelter.

Ronifer269 said...

That lifestyle actually has some appeal, not the homelessness but the library time. Maybe when we retire you and I can have our own permanent desk over at the Salt Lake city public.

danithew said...

Seriously though, seems like whenever you run into poor people, they're always better informed about something than you are. Now I know why. I am educated too, but I paid thousands of dollars for it. These guys are clearly beating the system.

Dude