Tuesday, January 27, 2009

If Cowboys are America's team, what does that say about America?

The 2008 Dallas Cowboys were loaded with as much talent and superstars as any Yankees team that Steinbrenner has cobbled together. But as the Yankees have proven, talent and hype wins nothing but airtime on daytime sports talk shows.

I've been with the Cowboys ever since Danny White was handing the ball to Tony Dorsett under the silent but stern eye of the great Tom Landry. I can't explain my allegiance other then the fact that my older brother got me into them and I have never wavered since. Until now.

I am having an increasingly difficult time handling the cognitive dissonance that resides within my sports affiliation decision making process. I can no longer justify the awkward juxtaposition that exists between what I ideally want in a sports franchise and my love for the Cowboys.

You want a team that wins, right? Yes, that is the bottom line for most fans. But, just as important, you want a team that wins the right way. You want a team that embodies the values that you embrace. (i.e. Pittsburgh Steelers mirroring the gritty, blue collar mentality of its city) You want a team that has leadership, drive, and mutual respect. You work hard to succeed in your job and you expect the players on your team to putting forth the same effort to hone their craft within the team. You want a team that believes that whole is truly bigger then the sum of its parts.

Does that describe the Dallas Cowboys? I only wish it did. We've got a crisis of leadership and accountability and it starts at the top. Teams mirror their ownership and leadership. Do you wonder why the 2008 Dallas Cowboys turned into a circus? Look no further then Jerry Jones.


1 comment:

Norm said...

Now is a great time to switch allegiences to the Cards. You even have a legitimate excuse (it's where you live). No one can say you are bandwagoning.

As long as Jerry Jones is calling the shots, that team will always be a circus. I mean, c'mon Pac Man Jones? TO? Jessica Simpson? They deserve to lose.

Dude