Sunday, July 13, 2008

Randomizer Volume IV Series I

It's been awhile....it is time to revisit the series. It represents an easy and simple way to capture the myriad, random thoughts that ping pong their way through my existence.

Brett Favre- Seriously, man make up your mind. Decisions really aren't that hard to make. You've strung along a franchise according to your whims. But as a Cowboys fan I hope that you continue to string along the Packers and that you sign with the Vikings. You can singlehandedly implode two competitors even before the first preseason game claims it's first superstar through freak injury.

Mr. Mormon Missionary Calendar Guy- Hats off to Chad Hardy for getting the attention that he's been working hard to achieve. His Calendar is back in the news now that his church membership is in jeopardy. Personally I wasn't too offended by the idea or calendar. I was a little surprised that the church has gotten involved but I understand why. But let's get to the heart of the matter. Barnum and Bailey would be proud of the way that Chad has used this event to get his name back into the press. From the article it seems clear that he no longer is an active and practicing member. If church membership meant anything to him he wouldn't have sent the press a copy of the summons and as a result he would have sort of been sympathetic. But it seems obvious that he's not out for sympathy; he's out for publicity and sales. Talk about selling your birthright for a mess of porridge.

We now run?- Ever since the Ragnar Wasatch Back there has been a definite buzz amongst my friends when it comes to running. A few of them even pulled off a 1/2 marathon last weekend. In high school none of us ever really considered running. We all had very active lifestyles and the act of running for the sake of running was kind of weird. After all we did plenty of running in football, basketball, and being teenagers. But now those opportunities have thinned out and running has become a plausible option. It represents a challenge and something to strive for.

A new Bluth boy adventure- Every few months I dust off my Arrested Development DVDs and rediscover comedy. It's becoming increasingly difficult to encounter quality comedy within the narrow confines of mainstream media. We'll I've discovered a Fox Studio Store that sells screen worn items from shows such as Arrested Development. I've become a big fan of the idea and I'm holding out for either an old Reyn Spooner shirt from George Michael or a nice Michael Bluth dress shirt. If all else fails I can buy a Buster Bluth prosthetic hand.

4 comments:

Glynnjamin said...

you know Bri and I got into a big debate about the calendar thing. Maybe it's me as a convert vs her as a lifer...but I didn't see an issue with it.

the poses aren't seductive, the pages include their testimony, and generally speaking, I think most of the people are out to help the Church shed its so called "stuffy" image.

Since becoming a member, it has amazed me at how much Mormons make fun of Mormons. They do it with things like "Mormon Standard Time" and they do it with comments about getting married young or having kids at a young age. Generally, they make a lot of the same jokes that non-LDS people make. As someone who has been on both sides of the debate (and someone who doesn't take offense), I have trouble seeing how this is bad for the church.

In fact, the only bad publicity the church is receiving is from trying to come down on the calendar maker. So much for free-will and free-choice. The Church has no business telling him to not sell a calendar when the Church owns holdings in all sorts of semi-legitimate businesses around the world.

Business is business. Every mormon business owner has made money off of someone else's sin. Whether it be greed (banking/stocks/marketing), envy (landscaping), gluttony (bakery), or even lust (Larry Miller Autos)...the only thing this calendar does is shows how Salt Lake doesn't have a sense of humor.

As a member, that saddens me. It also worries me...next they will excommunicate me for working for Obama.

Glynnjamin said...

Also, I got on Hulu the other night...tried watching three episodes of Arrested Development. Didn't laugh once. I just don't get it. I've tried. Year after year, I try. It's not funny. Jason Bateman is a douche who ruins every piece of celluloid he touches.

I know 1,000 people who think that show is genius. I really don't understand.

Ronifer269 said...

Interesting call on the discipline. I would have to believe that there was more to it then just the calendar. From his statements it is pretty obvious that the kid is more concerned about promotion and sales rather then his standing within the church.

About AD. Were the episodes consecutive? What kind of shows do you find funny? You seem like the prototypical target audience for the show.

the medeiros family said...

Oh we are so related...random thoughts ping ponging through our brains..love that I'm not alone in my randomness.

Dude