Sunday, August 22, 2004

A strange happened on the way to growing up

When I was a kid I had some amazing interests and ambitions. If I wasn't reading about the Olmec civilization I was drawing up the blueprint to my future home. My interests included Archaeology, Astronomy, Mythology, Rock Hounding, Sports, and a myriad of other intriguing subjects. These were things that genuinely interested me and helped shape who I am. And then I grew up.
Soon the book about Lawrence of Arabia was replaced with Trigonometry homework and my dreams were shelved in favor of the realities of "career development." My business and economic studies just didn't captivate me the way that my old interests did, despite my best efforts. But a strange thing happened upon graduating and getting into my profession. I invited my old interests back.
Like the phoenix arising from its ashes, my old interests have been resurrected. I have the free time to take up the guitar again, to collect ancient Roman coins and football cards, even to reread some Plato. In designing my home office I selected decorations that represented these childhood interests and reduced the symbols of my career pursuits to a diploma or two in the corner wall. The result of this rekindled passion is that I am happier. I'm not forcing myself to read something for the sake of a grade or a promotion but rather engaging myself in my passions...that is what really matters.

No comments:

Dude