Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ayn Rand's ideas and Mormon thought?

I believe in the brilliant possibilities that can be obtained by individual thought, ingenuity, and hard work.  I believe that a free market is the ultimate place to test and value those ideas and works.  I believe in preserving our freedoms so that we choose the course best suited for ourselves.

I suppose you can tell a lot about me based on those aforementioned beliefs.  You would guess that I am a proponent of capitalism and I might even be a Libertarian.  You could argue that those beliefs match many of those who share my Mormon faith.  And you could also argue that I am likely a huge proponent of Ayn Rand and her core philosophy, Objectivism

Before I read 'Fountainhead' I probably would have answered yes to that last question.  But there was just something about Howard Roark and his actions that just didn't jibe with core beliefs that I held.  I looked a little more at objectivism and I was surprised.

I was going to write my own treatise comparing Ayn Rand's philosophy with Mormon tenants but somebody already did a better job here. I'm all for reason, human accomplishment, capitalism and independence.  But the lack of morality and compassion that I've found in a lot of these materials just doesn't ring true to me as someone who believes in the tenets of Christianity.

1 comment:

Dallas Graham said...

I probably enjoy Rand's "objectivism" as much as the next guy; probably similar to you as we share common belief backgrounds. When I found myself "couched in Rand" per se, I remind myself of the vacuum that she or any other author creates when writing. It's not saying the characters aren't perfect: we know that and authors tend to show imperfections so we connect. It's simply that all authors, regardless of creed or belief or philosophy are writing it from their seat... which means, they've been there longer and more frequently that I have, the wondering reader. I find her work intriguing... and powerful because she defined herself and created a space to objectify who and what she was raised to be. I resonate with some characters more than others and haven't always felt hand-in-hand with the protagonists. Thanks for your thoughts, Dude.

Dude