Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Good Humor (Not the Ice Cream Treat)



I like to laugh. I enjoy religion. Ergo, I'm utterly fascinated at the high percentage of Jews that dominate the comedy scene. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising...they've had like 3,000 years to work on their jokes.

We Mormons, on the other hand, are mere babes when it comes to humor. We are still learning how to laugh at ourselves and there are too many cultural taboos that prevent any significant jocular investigation. The result is typically some kind of cultural introspection in the form of something like Singles Ward. I don't need a PhD from the USC School of Film to declare that everything up to this point has been a mixed bag at best. There have been some efforts, to varying degrees of success, that look into the culture and poke fun. But there have been far fewer successful attempts that have looked at the wider world through a humorous Mormon lens.

The following blog,Don't Do Dumb Things, is one of those rare exceptions. The site isn't overtly Mormon but it does a fabulous job of looking at a variety of subjects from a perspective you can relate to. The Bell brothers are in top form and I am taking this unsolicited chance to invite all 7 of my regular readers to drop by for a chuckle.

No comments:

Dude