Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Farewell to "our" Prophet

With the recent passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley I began to take stock of the role that his example has played in my life. One of my friends said that President Hinckley meant so much to him because he was the prophet during the period in his life when his testimony came of age and began to mean something to him. I have to completely agree with that. He has been the prophet during just about every milestone in my life. He will be sorely missed.

So I’ve begun the process of looking through old journals and conference talks, highlighting certain themes that have resonated with me through my various journeys and struggles. Above all there is one moment that stands out in my life. The time that he made a surprise visit to my mission.

I had been out for about a year. We were notified that Elder Holland was going to make a visit to one of the cities in the mission and speak. For several weeks we made an effort to publicize the event and organize caravans to the sort of distant town of Edinburg, some 5 hours away. To be honest I remember that the response to the invitation was somewhat tepid. It seemed like a long way for people to be driving. After much effort we were able to get 3 or 4 buses prepared for the journey. I remember being somewhat disappointed that we couldn’t get many people signed up for the trip. I also remember being very excited to hear an apostle in my remote part of the vineyard and for the chance to run into a few mission buddies.

The weekend of the event arrived. The missionaries left early so that we could attend a special training session with Elder Holland and Busche that Saturday night. The ride down almost felt like a road trip. A bunch of young men working to suppress the world and focus on missionary work. Soon enough the conversation drifted towards girls, life back home, and other conversations from a distant world that we no longer belonged to. There was almost a feeling of spring break amongst us; a brief respite from our hard efforts.

We arrived in McAllen late that afternoon and were quickly shuttled off to the nearest Stake Center for training. I’m sure that our leaders were somewhat frustrated because we were so eager to renew old acquaintances rather then to learn. Quickly gossip started to spread that the Prophet was going to be present for the big speech in the morning. I quickly dismissed the gossip because it was coming from the same Elders who gossiped about everything and anything. The leaders soon got a hold of the situation and we were caroled into the meeting room.

As soon as we sat down something changed. I remember feeling a palpable and tangible energy. It was a buzz that caused my heart to speed up and hair to stand on end. The rumors of a visit from President Hinckley persisted….but now they seemed real. We began to sing hymns in anticipation of the arrival of Elder Holland. We probably sang 10 hymns in a row. It didn’t matter because all of us felt this incredible energy.

And then all of the sudden we caught a glimpse of an old familiar face entering in through a back door. Without hesitation we stood up and sang in unison, “We Thank Thee o God for A Prophet”. I have never sung with that much emotion or conviction. I couldn’t help but weep with joy. I looked around and everyone else was in the same exuberant emotional state that I was as well.

He took to the podium and called the meeting to order. The first thing that he wanted to do was to meet us all in person. For the next 20 or so minutes we all walked outside into the foyer and were able to shake his hand and say hello. It was an absolutely incredible experience.

The evening carried on and I was completely enveloped by his presence. I don’t remember exactly what he said or what doctrine he shared. I know that he offered some kind words of encouragement. He could have been speaking about Kolob for all I cared. It was the feeling that I will remember. It was on that night that my testimony of living Prophets became cemented.

I have heard him speak several times and even interacted with him on a couple of occasions but nothing will ever come close to that evening while I was a missionary. I have never felt feelings like that with that kind of intensity ever since.

I don’t laud or admire President Hinckley just because he wore the mantel of Prophet. His character alone demands adulation irregardless of his standing within the church. He was so approachable, so wise, and so kind, so giving. In short he was the kind of person that you would, without hesitation, be proud to associate yourself with. He was my Prophet in the very same way that he was your Prophet. It seemed like we all had a personal relationship with President Gordon B Hinckley.

4 comments:

Jeffers said...

I enjoyed reading of your experience in the mission field. What other interactions did you have with him? I got within a few feet on some occasions, but was never able to shake his hand.

the medeiros family said...

Wow...what an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing that, I enjoyed reading it!

Glynnjamin said...

it was all good till you said "irregardless"

Nice story that is very fitting.

Ronifer269 said...

At least I wasn't the only one who has made that mistake.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless

Dude