Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Well it happened...

Tonight Shelley and I completed a very important rite of passage within the Mormon community. We sat through our first multilevel marketing sales pitch from a couple of ward members. This event typically takes place after the mission, marriage, and home ownership. The solicitors will use tactics and techniques once employed as missionaries and will even testify of the program and how it gives them the financial freedom to focus on other more righteous causes.
The meeting goes something like this, regardless of whether or not its Quixtar, Amway, or Equinox. 1. An overblown and dramatic pitch on the value of taking control of your life and breaking the shackles of normal employment to become empowered as your own boss. Who wouldn't want that? Stories and testimonies abound about how their friend was once living in poverty but since they have discovered program xx they have a six figure income and vacation in the Caymans. 2. The vague program overview, describing how you make the money. 3. There might be mention of the actual product that you are pushing. 4. They might even drop the name of the company. 5. Strong sales close and more bearing of testimonies.
These schemes make me hesitant because the emphasis is on the program and not the actual product. You never hear about how great this product is that you will be selling. All you get is talk about how wealthy you will be once you have 15 people working under you. Meanwhile no one actually sees the product and it languishes in the basement of the guy at the bottom of the pecking order. Its the program they push, the product is inconsequential.
Anyways, the meeting went better then I expected. I was very hesitant and put up a wall of resistance. These two ward members weren't pushy, I appreciated that. They presented the program without doing things that would jeopardize the relationship.
The evening is over and I guess I can finally feel like a part of the ward. I have spoken in sacrament meeting. I have a couple of callings. And now I have been approached with a MLM scheme. We've arrived!

2 comments:

danithew said...

I once attended one such meeting in the home of one Darren Clark. I have no idea why. A man named Bryan Massey invited me to accompany him, after which he would buy the ice cream. I couldn't refuse. I think it all had something to do with sea weed. Or something.

Jordan said...

If the focus was not on the products, then it probably wasn't a good plan. However, there are great products out there which can only be obtained through MLM because that is the only way they are offered.

That said, it does seem to be becoming a rite of passage in various wards lately to be approached by some such scheme. :) After all, the mormon business guru Steven Covey DID say something about how network marketing has now come of age...

Dude